What if you filed your taxes incorrectly? You might have forgotten to put in a crucial piece of information or might have missed taking a claim or a reduction. If you realized you’ve forgotten something or you’ve entered the wrong information on your tax return, it can be corrected – even if you’ve already filed. Filing an amended return can do this. Lets look at some of the information you need to keep in mind before you choose to file an amended return to rectify your error.

When to amend?

The IRS list down various reasons for filing an amended return in the instructions of Form 1040X Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Some of the reasons are filing status, number of dependents, total income, tax deductions or tax credits were reported incorrectly or omitted.

When not to amend?

In some cases, you don’t need to amend your tax return. The IRS will make corrections, such as math errors, for you. If you didn’t include a required form or schedule, for example, the IRS will mail you a notice about the missing item.

Form 1040X

Form 1040X is used to amend a federal income tax return you already filed. Please not this form must be paper filed and cannot be filed electronically. The box at the to of the form must be checked to show the year for which you are amending the return. Form 1040X has three columns:

  • Column A shows original figures (the original return) or adjusted figures (prior amendments or changes).
  • Column B is the difference between Columns A and C. There is an area on the back of the form to explain the specific changes you are making and the reason for each change.
  • Column C shows the corrected figures (what they should be).


When to File Amended Return

The filing period depends upon the following:

  • If you claim refund: The changes must be made within 3 years of the original return’s due date, or 2 years from the date the return was paid, whichever occurs later.
  • If you owe additional taxes: File your amended return as soon as possible to limit any interest or penalty charges that may incur.


About US Tax Practice GmbH: US Tax Practice offers U.S. tax services in Switzerland. It is the go-to tax preparation service and compliance practice for U.S. tax payers. Located in Lenzburg, Switzerland, the company was founded by Patrick Evans, a U.S. tax accountant (CPA, CGMA) and U.S. citizen determined to work with his clients’ best interests in mind. US Tax Practice GmbH services include U.S. Income Tax Preparation, U.S. Tax Compliance, Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR), Tax Planning and Optimization, and Expatriation.